I’m always looking for ways to use different cuts of meat that I find at the grocery store. I don’t like to get into the habit of buying the exact same cut of meat, so I’m always experimenting with what I can find. The Osso Buco, Veal Meatballs, and the Hickory Braised Brisket were all inspired by impulse buys in the meat department. These beef short ribs have been staring at me during the last couple of trips to the meat counter, so I finally picked up a couple of pounds.
So worth it.
These Beer-Braised Short ribs are melt in your mouth good. After bubbling away for 4 hours in a slow cooker, the meat nearly falls apart it’s so tender. You could brown and braise the meat in a dutch oven, but I don’t like to leave the oven unattended during the day. This is a great recipe to prepare in a slow cooker while you’re doing errands (or updating a food blog). By browning the meat in a skillet and deglazing the pan, you won’t miss any of those bits of flavor by using a slow cooker.
I served the beer-braised short ribs over a bed of polenta and drizzled a bit of the reduced sauce over the top. The orange gremolata adds a nice burst of fresh flavor when sprinkled over the short ribs.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 bottles Guinness Beer
- 2½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the short ribs in batches until each side is browned, then transfer the short ribs to a slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring a bottle of beer into the skillet. Use a wooden spatula to scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan, then pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Add the second bottle of beer to the slow cooker, along with the beef broth, yellow onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until the beef is tender and falling off the bone.
- While the short ribs are cooking in the slow cooker, prepare the orange gremolata. In a small bowl, mix together the parsley, orange zest, and garlic. Set aside.
- Serve the short ribs, onions, and carrots over polenta and sprinkle with the gremolata. Enjoy!