Buffalo chicken wings are typically battered, deep-fried, and smothered in a mixture of butter and hot sauce. If made correctly, they are absolutely delicious. Totally unhealthy, but delicious. Since I had a bit of cauliflower leftover from my cauliflower pizza crust, I decided to put it to good use. This recipe is a spin on the classic buffalo wing recipe: Healthy Cauliflower Buffalo “Wings.”
Instead of battering and deep-frying the cauliflower, I coated them in a mixture of flour and milk. Then, the buffalo bites are baked in a 450 degree oven. The coating allows the buffalo sauce to really stick to the florets.
This is a healthy and meatless appetizer that is perfect for football games, afternoon snacks, or even lunch. For my cauliflower buffalo bites I used almond milk and almond flour. However, regular milk and all-purpose flour will work just fine if that’s what you have on hand. I’m always adapting recipes based on what is in my pantry so I don’t have to constantly run to the grocery store (my Taco Chicken Chili is a good example).
Serve these cauliflower buffalo wings alongside blue cheese for dipping and garnish with extra blue cheese crumbles.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour (fine)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil (optional)
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop the head of cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, almond flour, and garlic powder. Allow to sit a few minutes before adding the cauliflower.
- Toss the bite-sized pieces of cauliflower in the almond milk mixture. Shake off the excess batter and place on a baking sheet prepared with cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the buffalo sauce. You may use the buffalo sauce as-is, or add a tablespoon of butter or oil for a milder flavor.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and toss in the buffalo sauce. Place the florets back on the baking sheet and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with blue cheese for dipping.