These Cauliflower Tots may be the healthiest version of tater tots I’ve ever had. The potato version is loaded with carbs and usually deep-fried. These cauliflower tots have half as many carbs, one-third less fat, and are higher in protein. It’s a delicious way to sneak some vegetables into your diet!
I made an absolute mess of my kitchen making these. I don’t think there is a tidy method to quickly chopping cauliflower by hand. I found cauliflower pieces all over the kitchen when I was done.
While I was mixing the ingredients together and making a mess out of the kitchen, Maja (the cat) kept stretching up my leg wanting attention. It’s a new habit she has developed. I picked her up and held her with one arm while trying to cook with the other. That’s all she wants. She is perfectly content just being held.
But, I digress.
This recipe can get a little messy, but I promise it’s worth it. Use your hands to shape the tots using about 1 1/2 tablespoon of cauliflower mix for each. Before baking, the tots are a little fragile and might be difficult to shape. However, they will firm up in the oven. You may add an extra egg to keep them together, but keep in mind the nutritional value will change.
These cauliflower tots are pretty amazing. I’ve made cauliflower pizza crust and cauliflower buffalo wings, but these tots blow both of them out of the water. They have a great crunchy crust when browned, but are soft and flavorful inside. It’s the perfect combination.
Since this is a healthy recipe, I have included nutrition facts below the recipe. This recipe makes approximately 24 tots, so the serving size is 6 tots. If you decide to make smaller tots, then the nutrition facts will apply to one-quarter of the total tots.
I’m the kind of person that makes smaller tots so I don’t feel guilty eating more of them.
Isn’t that how it works?
Also, be sure to try my Buffalo Cauliflower Tots. They are flavored with a little buffalo sauce, so they really take these tots up to the next level.
Update: For a step-by-step video tutorial, be sure to head over to That Oven Feelin”s YouTube channel or check out the video below!
- 2½ cups raw cauliflower florets (about 2 cups when cooked)
- 1 large egg (*see note below)
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- ½ cup Colby Jack cheese, grated
- ½ cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, cook the cauliflower florets by pouring ¼ inch of water into a large pan over medium heat. Once the water is simmering, reduce the heat to low and add the cauliflower. Cover with a lid and let simmer for about 5 minutes. The cauliflower should be tender, but not mushy when done.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop the cauliflower into fine pieces and place 2 cups of the cauliflower pieces into a medium bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Shape about 1½ tablespoon of cauliflower mix into an egg-shape and place on a prepared baking sheet. Be careful not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping the tots occasionally to brown each side.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted From: Skinnytaste
*Serving size is 6 Cauliflower Tots