A Caprese salad is a simple salad made with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. It’s often served as an appetizer, rather than a side salad or main dish. This Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad changes that. Drizzled with a balsamic reduction, this salad is flavorful and hearty enough to stand on its own.
For a festive presentation, you can pierce the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, avocado, and chicken with small skewers. Then, just drizzle the balsamic reduction over the Caprese kabobs and serve. It’s great for parties and is a bit more filling than the typical Caprese skewer with a tomato, mozzarella, and basil (although, those are delicious too!).
I found some gorgeous mini heirloom tomatoes across town that I thought would be perfect for this recipe. Heirloom tomatoes actually lack the genetic mutation that gives regular tomatoes their solid red color. Therefore, you can find some really unique varieties such as the green and yellow zebra-striped variety I found (head over to my Instagram account to see them!).
Also, I used small mozzarella peals in this salad. If you can’t find mozzarella pearls, you may use regular mozzarella and chop it into bite-sized pieces. It tastes the same, I just like the uniform round look of the pearls.
We’ve been making salads several times a week now. It probably offsets the luscious Macaroni and Cheese, Burgers, or Steaks we have the other nights. I have my first wedding dress fitting coming up, so I’ve been extra-careful about what I eat. However, just because you are eating healthy doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice flavor!
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella pearls
- chiffonade of basil (optional)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- In a small saucepan, combine the balsamic vinegar with the brown sugar. Heat over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce by half, about 15 minutes. Set aside and let the mixture cool.
- Toss the lettuce, avocado, chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella pearls with the balsamic vinegar dressing and garnish with a chiffonade of basil (optional).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!