I know what you’re probably thinking. Chorizo and shrimp? Together?
Yes. And it’s absolutely delicious.
These Chorizo and Grilled Shrimp Tacos have become a household favorite. The chorizo is packed with flavor, which makes these tacos irresistible. The shrimp makes them light and fresh, which is a great pick-me-up during the winter months. For these tacos, I found artisan tortillas that are made with a mixture of flour and corn, but you can use either.
Remember the pickled red onions and jalapeños that I made last week? It’s time to put those to good use. Until now, I’ve been eating them straight out of the jars with a fork.
I’m not kidding.
You can definitely use store bought pickled onions and jalapeños, but it’s quite easy to make your own. They keep for a while in the fridge, so you’ll always have a great garnish for tacos, sandwiches, or even bagels and lox. I even put a few pickled red onions in a grilled cheese last week.
These tacos are also topped with an avocado sauce. It’s a mixture of ripened avocados, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, jalapeños and garlic. You can find the recipe here. The sauce is very flavorful and has a large variety of uses.
If you haven’t already, be sure to head over to my pickled onions, cucumbers, and jalapeño recipe. It really puts these tacos over the top.
- 9 oz. chorizo
- 18 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ⅓ cup pickled red onions
- ⅓ cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 cup shredded Jack cheese
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 tbsp avocado sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove the chorizo from the casing and add to a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir the chorizo while it cooks for about 8 to 10 minutes, until fully cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the shrimp on an indoor or outdoor grill. If using an outdoor grill, skewer the shrimp with wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. If using an indoor grill, heat over a medium-high heat and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper to taste. The shrimp will turn opaque when cooked.
- Warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cover with a clean towel until ready for use.
- Put a spoonful of cooked chorizo on each tortilla. Then, add three shrimp to each taco. Top with a few pickled red onions, jalapeños, shredded cheese, an avocado slice, avocado sauce, and cilantro.