Stews are perfect for the fall season since they are so hearty and comforting. Things can get a bit hectic around the holidays, so why not have a White Bean Stew that is easy to make? Best of all, it will make your house smell wonderful as it bubbles away during the day.
For this white bean stew, I wanted the ingredients to be simple and not require a lot of prep work. Having to stand at the counter chopping half a dozen vegetables would not have made this recipe as easy. However, I did brown the turkey sausage in a hot skillet for extra flavor, but it’s not nessessary. It just gives the stew that extra boost.
In order to reduce prep work, I used Goya’s Mild Salsa, Tomato Sauce, and Minced Garlic.* The salsa contains tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños, so it gave the stew just the right amount of kick. Since the salsa is chunky, it was easy to distinguish and taste each of the ingredients. I enjoyed the salsa so much, I went to the store and purchased another to make a second recipe (look for it tomorrow!).
Another great way to cut down on prep work is to use minced garlic. It still has a strong flavor compared to fresh garlic, without leaving your fingers smelling like garlic after chopping!
Be sure to serve your white bean stew with fresh bread. I enjoy bread with a crunchy crust, then I can dip the bread into the stew to soften it up. It ensures that not a drop of stew is left behind.
Next time, I might even serve this stew in a homemade bread bowl. I’m excited just thinking about it.
For other healthy recipes, Goya and I are giving away 3 hard copy cookbooks! The MyPlate Cookbook is filled with nutritious meals such as Argentinean Grilled Steak with Salsa Criolla and Grilled Fish Tacos with a Peach Salsa. There are even great recipes for salads and skinny pizzas. I can’t wait to try them myself!
You may enter the giveaway through the entry form below. For additional entries (up to 5), you may follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. However, you must be at least 18 years of age and reside in the United States. The giveaway ends on December 27th, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (CST). The three winners will be selected by a random draw and notified via e-mail.
If you are unable to see the entry form above, it can also be found here: http://giveaways.promosimple.com/goya-cookbook-giveaway/
Or try the Mobile-Friendly Facebook entry form here: http://prmo.me/HJhIu9
- 2 cups salsa
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- pinch of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 links of turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ medium onion
- 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large slow cooker, add the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic, white beans, thyme, onion, and broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Halfway through the cooking time, heat a skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil and the sliced sausage. Cook until each side is a golden brown. Add the sausage and continue cooking until done. If desired, add cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes for more heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- If you need to thin the stew, just add a little hot water before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve with bread.
*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned in this post for free in exchange for this review. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions stated on this blog are my own unless otherwise stated. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”