A few months ago, I posted a chicken gyro recipe with homemade pita bread and fell in love with the marinade (actually, I’m in love with the pita bread too). So I decided to pull the marinade out of the archives and use it in today’s greek marinated chicken. The greek yogurt makes the chicken super juicy and tasty. I marinated my chicken overnight, so each bite was absolutely packed with flavor.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts since I had a few in the fridge. Honestly, I think chicken drumsticks or thighs would work even better. The skin always browns nicely in the oven. However, if you use skinless chicken, I would definitely grill them on an indoor or outdoor grill. Due to the marinade, they won’t brown well in the oven. Alternatively, you may sear them in a pan, then place them in the oven. This way, you’ll still get chicken that is golden brown.
No one likes pale, bland-looking chicken.
This marinade would also be perfect for grilled kabobs. Actually, I’m kind of sad that I didn’t think of that before.
I’ll have to add that to my notebook full of future recipes. I think it would be a great recipe for the start of summer! Can you believe it’s already March? Woah!
This chicken really is a great weeknight meal. It’s healthy and once marinated, it can be prepared quickly.
- 2½ lbs chicken
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 1 medium lemon
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl. Zest the lemon, then add the juice to the marinade. Stir well. Add the chicken and refrigerate for at least one hour (preferably overnight).
- After marinating, cook the chicken on an indoor or outdoor grill until the chicken is done and the juices run clear.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Spray a baking dish with a little cooking spray and add the chicken. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the hot pan and sear until golden brown. Then flip the chicken over and sear the other side until golden. Place the chicken in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is done and the juices run clear.