I don’t usually post many salad recipes on That Oven Feelin’ because there is very little planning that goes into making them in our house. We usually just dig through the fridge and pull out anything that’s colorful, add a protein, and we’re done. Usually we come up with some delicious salads (gorgonzola beef tenderloin salad), but sometimes they are just a bit off (hotdog salad).
Today’s salad puts most of our other salads to shame.
This Thai salad is made with napa cabbage, shredded carrot, cilantro, and green onions. If you can’t find napa cabbage, savoy or green will work just fine. I just love the sweeter taste of napa cabbage as well as the softer texture compared to regular green cabbage.
The Thai salad is drizzled with a creamy peanut dressing. By adding minced red chili peppers, the dressing has a little kick. I didn’t want the dressing to be too spicy, so I only added 1 teaspoon of minced peppers. However, you may add more chili peppers if you like the extra heat.
This salad is perfect for lunch or dinner. Feel free to add edamame, red cabbage, bell peppers, cucumbers, or any other vegetables that you find at the grocery store. Adding red and green cabbage will give this salad a bit of a thicker, coleslaw texture instead of the napa cabbage’s delicate texture.
- ½ napa cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- ⅓ cup green onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup peanuts, crushed
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red chili peppers, minced (add more for extra heat)
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup water (to thin the dressing)
- Toss the napa cabbage, shredded carrots, cilantro, and green onions together in a large bowl. Add the grilled chicken and top with crushed peanuts. Set aside.
- Add all of of the ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth. For a spicier dressing, add additional minced red chili peppers. Add just enough water to thin the dressing to the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the spicy peanut dressing over the salad and serve immediately.