We had gorgeous weather over memorial day weekend. It was a great way to kick off summer and grilling season. I’m the type of person that will grill in near-freezing temperatures in the middle of winter, but nothing beats spending time in the summer sun while dinner is sizzling away on the grill. Since we have been grilling lots of steaks, I decided to switch it up with a simple grilled honey chipotle chicken recipe.
It’s spicy and sweet!
The chicken breasts are first marinated in a seasoned mixture of pureed chipotle peppers (just puree a entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and freeze the leftovers). Then, the chicken is grilled and brushed with a sweet honey and apple cider vinegar glaze. Since the chipotle peppers can make the chicken fairly spicy, the sweet glaze is a nice complement. For a little extra sweetness, reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons of the glaze to drizzle over the grilled chicken before serving.
As always, be safe when grilling chicken. Use a thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken breast is at a safe level (165 degrees is recommended by the USDA). Also, make sure you grab a clean plate after grilling the chicken. Don’t just rinse out the raw chicken dish with a little water. Salmonella is very persistent about staying behind. If you do use the same dish, be sure to scrub the dish with soap to fully disinfect it.
I go a bit crazy when it comes to raw chicken. I even have specific cutting boards for poultry. I also wash my hands a few dozen times while preparing chicken just to be certain that I avoid cross contamination.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tbsp pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Add the canola oil, lime juice, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and pureed chipotle peppers to a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken breasts to the bag and squeeze the bag to distribute the paste evenly over the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the honey and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Place the marinated chicken breasts on a hot grill. Grill until each side is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (about 4-5 minutes per side). During the final few minutes of grilling, brush the honey glaze over the chicken. Serve immediately.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I may receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”