To continue with the Leftover Halloween Candy series, I’ve added a recipe that is quick and easy. Well, it wasn’t so easy the first dozen times I tried it, but I’ll get to that later. These adorable little Pretzel Bites are perfect to pour into a snack bowl if you have company over. You have to be careful though: these things are so addicting, you’ll eat a dozen in the blink of an eye!
The combination of the salt from the pretzels and the chocolate is what makes these Pretzel Bites so good and addicting!
This recipe took me a little while to perfect. I made the first batch with Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses with Caramel. However, I didn’t realize that the Kisses were actually filled with caramel, rather than just a little caramel swirled through the chocolate. I guess I don’t eat enough sweets to know these things.
When I tried to bake them, the caramel would ooze out of the chocolate. They were still delicious, but nothing you would want to put in a bowl and serve to guests. Since I’m stubborn, I didn’t give up on the idea. I tried everything to get the chocolate to melt and keep the caramel inside.
It just wasn’t meant to be.
Even a drizzle of white chocolate couldn’t hide the pool of caramel beneath the Pretzel Bite.
I went back to the store and bought two more bags: Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses and Cookies and Cream Kisses. One of them was bound to work. So it was back to the kitchen for more testing.
Which one was better?
The Dark Chocolate Kisses.
After 3 minutes in the oven, they were melted enough to flatten out perfectly when the candy was added. The cookies and cream ones just didn’t flatten out quite as nice. Plus, the little bits of cookie got in the way.
The great thing about this kitchen experiment: even the mistakes tasted great!
Other Leftover Halloween Candy Recipes:
- 24 Pretzels
- 24 Hershey's Kisses (Dark Chocolate)
- 24 Reese's Pieces or other candy
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a dozen pretzels on a baking sheet. Top each pretzel with a Hershey's Kiss, then bake for 3 to 4 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and immediately add the candy toppings. Gently press the Reese's Pieces into the Hershey's Kisses. The Kiss will flatten out slightly. Once the candy toppings have been added to all of the Pretzel bites, transfer them onto a plate and place in the refrigerator to harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining pretzels.