The good thing about being stuck inside while it’s sleeting outside, is that I get to test lots of recipes. Today’s Skinny Quinoa Bites recipe is an adaptation of my popular Skinny Cauliflower Tots. This is another great alternative to deep-fried tater tots and other deep-fried snacks. Baking gives the quinoa a nice crust, which makes them perfect for dunking into a nice dip or sauce.
For a little extra spice, you can add 1/4 cup buffalo sauce to the quinoa mix. Just increase the baking time by 5 minutes to make sure the outside becomes nice and crispy. I even drizzled my quinoa bites in a little Sriracha for the heat. As you can probably tell, I’m a huge fan of spicy foods.
To make these bites kid-friendly, just follow the recipe as posted.
I think I’m going to add these bites to my Super Bowl snack arsenal. You can make these ahead of time and then bake them right before the game. After shaping them, store the bites on a baking sheet covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Just add a few extra minutes to the baking time to be sure they are heated through.
Serve them with a blue cheese, ranch, or buffalo sauce dip.
If you are short on time, you can scoop the quinoa into a prepared muffin tin instead of shaping them by hand; they will just look like little disks instead!
These bites are so versatile, you can even serve them as a salad topping. Toss them in a little buffalo sauce and you’ve got a healthy twist on a buffalo chicken salad. You can even add shredded carrots to sneak a few more veggies into your diet.
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- ¾ cup Colby Jack cheese, grated
- ⅔ cup seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir the quinoa, egg, egg white, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese, and bread crumbs together in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape about 1½ tablespoon of the quinoa into an egg-shape and place on a prepared baking sheet. Be careful not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping the bites occasionally to brown each side.
- Serve immediately.