This has been a week full of slow cooker recipes. I’ve made several crock pot chicken recipes, slow cooker baby back ribs, and this shredded Teriyaki Chicken. Although I make a lot of really spicy foods, it’s nice to switch it up with something a bit sweeter. Sweetened with a little honey and light brown sugar, this Teriyaki Chicken is the perfect blend of sweet and savory.
Serve the shredded chicken over rice or quinoa for a full meal.
In the beginning of the week, I was really excited about all of the crock pot recipes I had planned. It was going to be a week off in the kitchen. Sometimes I really don’t feel like standing next to the stove stirring risotto for half an hour.
However, things didn’t quite go as planned.
While cooking my first slow cooker recipe, I heard a sudden sharp noise come from the crock pot and my heart sank. Sure enough, I saw a hairline crack running through the ceramic pot. I use my slow cooker quite often, but still laughed at the irony of it breaking during my crock pot week.
Since I had gotten used to the idea of a no fuss week, I immediately ran out to the store and bought a new one. I think my slow cooker has become one of those kitchen appliances that I can’t live without.
Plus, nothing was going to stop me from a hassle-free week.
I’m sure I’ll be making all sorts of slow cooker recipes in the coming weeks. It’s always fun to test out a new kitchen gadget!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or tenderloins)
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp orange marmalade
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp water
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar, orange marmalade, garlic, and ginger. Pour the mixture into a slow cooker and add the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat. Set aside.
- To thicken the teriyaki sauce, mix together the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Once the cornstarch has dissolved, pour the mixture into the crockpot and stir. Turn the heat up to high and allow the mixture to reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Alternatively, you may reduce the mixture in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the teriyaki sauce with the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Allow the mixture to come to a boil then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once thick, pour the teriyaki sauce back into the slow cooker.
- Add the shredded chicken to the crock pot and toss to coat.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.