After visiting the Antelope Slot Canyons near Page, Arizona, we arrived at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We are staying in a cabin right on the rim of the canyon. It’s been a lot of fun watching the sunrises and sunsets from our porch rocking chairs. We’ve stayed in these cabins countless times during my childhood, so the memories always come flooding black. Even though I never ate many sweets as a kid, I always bought a bag of marshmallows at the little nearby general store to make roasted marshmallows and s’mores.
Since we’ve been doing a lot of hiking, I decided to make a s’more trail mix. This trail mix is filled with marshmallow puppy chow, mini-marshmallows, Golden Grahams, Teddy Grahams, and chocolate-covered nuts. I made the marshmallow puppy chow at home before leaving on the road trip and tossed it in the cooler to make sure they stayed crunchy. I always like to keep my puppy chow in a freezer rather than at room temperature to in order to keep it exta-crunchy.
If you’re not familiar with puppy chow, you’ve been missing out. Puppy chow is essentially rice cereal covered with melted chocolate and peanut butter, then tossed in powdered sugar. However, this puppy chow is a little different. After melting the peanut butter and chocolate, I added some mini marshmallows to fit with my s’mores theme. Since I find that it’s too sweet on its own, I like to mix it into other snacks like trail mix and cereal.
This snack the perfect way to enjoy s’mores, but without the campfire!
S’more Trail Mix
For the S'more Puppy Chow:
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- 2 cups rice cereal
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
For the Trail Mix:
- 1 cup Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup Teddy Grahams
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate-covered almonds or chocolate pieces
- Prepare the s'more puppy chow by bringing a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Place a glass heat-proof bowl on top of the pot to create a double broiler (don't let the bowl touch the water). Add the chocolate chips and peanut butter to the glass bowl. Continuously stir until the chocolate is fully melted. Add the marshmallows and continue stirring.
- Once the marshmallows are almost halfway melted, remove the chocolate mixture from the heat. Add the rice cereal and gently stir until the cereal is coated with the chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Pour the confectioner's sugar into a large zip-top bag. Add the chocolate-covered rice cereal and seal the zip-top back. Shake the bag until each piece is coated with powdered sugar, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
Assembling the Trail Mix:
- Combine the puppy chow, Golden Grahams cereal, Teddy Grahams, mini marshmallows, and chocolate pieces in a large bowl or zip-top bag. Stir to combine.