Indulge in the delightful fusion of Apple Cheesecake Tacos featuring crunchy cinnamon sugar tortilla shells, creamy cheesecake filling, and a luscious homemade apple pie topping. Perfect for cozy fall days!
Growing up, our family kitchen was always a fusion of cultures, with my mom’s love for classic American desserts and my dad’s Mexican heritage. One fall afternoon, inspired by the cozy aromas of apple pie and the festive spirit of taco nights, I decided to blend these worlds together. The result? Apple Cheesecake Tacos. It became more than just a recipe; it was a celebration of my family’s diverse roots. Each bite, filled with the warmth of cinnamon and the richness of cheesecake, reminds me of those playful kitchen experiments and the laughter that echoed as we eagerly awaited the first taste of this unique dessert.
Why You’ll Love Apple Cheesecake Tacos
- Innovative Fusion: Combining the heartwarming essence of apple pie with the fun twist of tacos, this recipe offers a unique and delightful experience.
- Texture Wonderland: The contrast between the crispy cinnamon sugar tortilla shells and the smooth, creamy cheesecake filling creates an irresistible combination.
- Versatility: Perfect for various occasions, from casual get-togethers to festive celebrations, these tacos are sure to impress.
- Customizable: Easily adaptable with different fillings or toppings, this recipe allows for creative variations to suit all taste preferences.
- Seasonal Delight: Ideal for fall, this dessert encapsulates the essence of the season with its use of apples and warm spices.
Ingredients Notes For Apple Cheesecake Tacos
Let’s Taco ‘Bout Ingredients: Before diving into the making of these scrumptious Apple Cheesecake Tacos, let’s chat about what goes into them. These tacos are a delightful trinity of components, each bringing its unique flavor and texture to the party.
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Shells: The base of our taco, large flour tortillas are transformed into crispy, cinnamon-sugar-coated shells. This is where the magic begins. The combination of brown sugar and cinnamon not only brings warmth but also a comforting sweetness that pairs beautifully with the fillings.
- Cream Cheese Filling: This is where the cheesecake comes into play. We’re using cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and a hint of vanilla extract. The cream cheese brings richness, the heavy cream adds a luxurious texture, and the powdered sugar and vanilla infuse sweetness and flavor.
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling: No apple pie is complete without the star ingredient – apples! Diced apples are cooked with a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and a touch of cornstarch for thickening. This filling adds a classic, homely apple pie flavor to our tacos.
Let’s Get Cooking!
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Shells: Start by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut circles out of the tortillas using a circle cutter. This will be the base of your tacos. Heat oil in a pan and fry each tortilla circle until golden brown, making sure to fold them into a taco shape. Once fried, immediately coat them in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place them on an upside-down muffin tin to set. This process is crucial for achieving the perfect taco shell – crispy on the outside with that sweet, cinnamon kick.
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling: Combine water, cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a dish and cook until thickened. Then, add your diced apples and vanilla, cooking until the apples are soft. This step infuses the apples with a delightful spice blend, creating a filling that’s both sweet and comforting.
- Cheesecake Filling: Whip up cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until the mixture thickens. This creates a smooth, creamy filling that perfectly complements the crunchy taco shells and spiced apples.
- Assemble Your Tacos: Fill each taco shell with the cheesecake filling using a piping bag, then top with your homemade apple pie filling. This is where your tacos come to life, with each component marrying together to create a delicious, one-of-a-kind dessert.
For these Apple Cheesecake Tacos, it’s best to enjoy them fresh, but if you find yourself with leftovers (a rare occurrence in my house!), here’s how to store them:
- Refrigeration: If you’ve already assembled the tacos, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The shells may soften a bit, but they’ll still be delicious.
- Separate Components: For longer storage, keep the shells, cheesecake filling, and apple pie filling separately. The shells can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days, while the fillings should be refrigerated and will last for up to a week.
Variations and Substitutions
Let’s Mix It Up! Apple Cheesecake Tacos are wonderfully versatile, and here are some fun ways to switch things up:
- Fruit Variations: Not an apple fan? No problem! Try using pear, peach, or even a berry mix for the filling.
- Tortilla Alternatives: For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free tortillas, or for a lighter option, try using small, soft tortillas and skip the frying step.
- Different Spices: Feel free to experiment with different spices in the apple filling – think cardamom, allspice, or even a dash of clove for a deeper flavor.
- Cheesecake Flavor Twists: Add a twist to your cheesecake filling by mixing in some caramel, chocolate chips, or even a swirl of fruit compote.
- Nutty Crunch: Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans to the apple filling for an added crunch and nutty flavor.
With these variations, you can easily tailor the Apple Cheesecake Tacos to your liking or surprise your guests with a new twist every time! 🌮🍏🍰
Apple Cheesecake Tacos
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Shells
- 6 Large Flour Tortillas
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1½ Teaspoons Cinnamon
- Oil for Frying
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 2 Large Apples Diced
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ Cup Cornstarch
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- ⅛ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Shells Preparation
- Begin by mixing the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Utilize a 3.5-4 inch circle cutter to cut circles from the tortillas.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to a medium temperature. Carefully place tortilla circles in the hot oil using tongs, frying for approximately 10-15 seconds. Then, flip and fold them in half, continuing to fry until they achieve a golden brown hue.
- Remove the tortillas from the oil, allowing excess oil to drain off briefly, then immediately coat them in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Ensure both the exterior and interior of the shells are thoroughly covered.
- Place the prepared shells on an inverted muffin tin to maintain their shape. Repeat this process with the remaining tortilla circles.
Homemade Apple Pie Filling Preparation
- In a medium-sized cooking vessel, combine water, cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook this mixture over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens, stirring intermittently.
- Incorporate the diced apples and vanilla extract, continuing to cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the apples soften. Upon completion, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Cream Cheese Filling Preparation
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Use a medium speed setting and continue mixing for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens adequately.
Assembly of Apple Cheesecake Tacos
- Transfer the cream cheese filling into a piping bag and snip off the tip. Pipe the filling into each cinnamon sugar tortilla shell.
- Complete the assembly by adding a generous amount of the homemade apple pie filling on top of the cream cheese layer in each taco.