Ah, the delightful tang of lemon meets the sweet burst of blueberries, all wrapped up in a creamy custard that sits atop a sugary cookie crust. The essential ingredients in our Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars are what dessert dreams are made of!
It was one sunny summer afternoon when Grandma Mabel handed me a plate of these heavenly bars, fresh from her oven. We were on her back porch, the warm breeze carrying the scent of blooming roses. She leaned in, her eyes sparkling, and whispered, “This, my dear, is a recipe passed down from our ancestors, back when they had wild blueberry fields next to lemon orchards.” The mix of tart and sweet, creamy and crumbly, was the flavour of that memorable summer. It was love at first bite! Now, every time I make these bars, I’m transported back to that sun-soaked porch, with Grandma’s stories, laughter, and of course, her age-old recipe.
Why You’ll Love this “Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars” Recipe:
These Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars are no ordinary dessert!
First, there’s the base – a delectable sugar cookie crust that’s buttery and just crumbly enough.
Then comes the star of the show: fresh, plump blueberries that aren’t just there for the vibrant colour – their juicy burst provides a delightful contrast to the lemony custard.
Speaking of which, the custard! It’s creamy, zesty, and oh-so-rich, perfect for those indulgent moments.
In short, these bars are a perfect marriage of textures and flavours, ensuring each bite is better than the last.
Ingredients Notes for the “Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars” Recipe
For the crust: We’re using Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix – a classic choice ensuring consistency and taste. If you can’t find it, any quality sugar cookie mix should do. The butter should ideally be at room temperature to get that perfect crumbly texture. And if you’re wondering about the 2 T of flour, it’s there to give our crust that extra firmness.
For the filling: Using fresh blueberries is the key! Frozen ones might get a bit watery. And the lemon zest? Please, don’t skimp! It’s what gives our bars that irresistible zing. Heavy whipping cream, apart from sounding incredibly indulgent, gives the custard its luscious texture.
How To Make Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars:
Begin by preheating your oven to 350° and giving your 9×13 pan a good spray with non-stick spray. You don’t want these beauties sticking!
Now, onto the crust: combine your sugar cookie mix, softened butter, flour, and that egg in a medium-sized bowl. Your goal is a crumbly dough. Got it? Good.
Now, press this mixture firmly into your pan to create a solid base. Here comes the fun part – scatter those vibrant blueberries all over the crust. Don’t be shy!
Now, whisking time! In another bowl, combine your eggs, flour, sugar, heavy whipping cream, that zesty lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth, and pour this delightful mixture over your blueberries.
Pop it in the oven for 50-60 minutes. You’re aiming for slightly jiggly in the center, but firm edges. Once baked, resist the temptation and let it cool before diving in. Patience, my friend, is a virtue, especially when it comes to desserts!
Storage Options for the “Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars” Recipe:
While it might be tempting to leave these bars out on the counter (for easy snacking access, of course), it’s best to store them in the refrigerator. They’re like that high-end cream you bought last week – they need a cool place! Cover them with some cling film or pop them in an airtight container, and they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days. That is, if they last that long!
Variations and Substitutions for the “Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars” Recipe:
Variety is the spice of life! Can’t find blueberries? Try raspberries or blackberries. Want to go tropical? Pineapple chunks and a sprinkle of coconut can do wonders. If you’re not a fan of heavy whipping cream or just ran out, half-and-half can be a worthy substitute. And for those adventurous souls, swap out lemon zest for orange or lime zest for a citrusy twist! Remember, it’s your kitchen runway – strut your stuff and make the recipe your own!
And there you have it, folks! The delicious journey of creating Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars. Go on, give it a whirl and bring a bit of summer into your kitchen! 🍋🫐😋
Blueberry Lemon Custard Bars
- 1 package 17.5 oz of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Thoroughly grease the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar cookie mix, butter, flour, and 1 egg. Mix until a cohesive dough forms. Press this dough uniformly into the base of the prepared pan.
- Evenly distribute the blueberries over the prepared crust.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, flour, sugar, heavy whipping cream, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk these ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Pour this custard mixture over the layer of blueberries.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. The custard should be slightly jiggly in the center with the edges set. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool to room temperature before serving.
- For optimal freshness, store the bars in a refrigerator.