Dive into these succulent Cheesy Chicken Fritters, crafted with tender chicken, gooey mozzarella, and a hint of fresh dill. Paired perfectly with a zesty garlic aioli dip!
Oh boy, the memories these fritters bring! My grandmother used to prepare a similar dish every Sunday afternoon. As kids, we couldn’t resist the aromatic allure that filled the house. I remember sneaking into the kitchen, trying to snatch one while she wasn’t looking (spoiler: she always caught me). Fast forward, and now it’s become my go-to dish for family gatherings. The twist? The cheese! Because, let’s face it, who can resist a good old cheesy delight? These fritters are a tribute to my wonderful grandma and my insatiable childhood cheese cravings.
Why You’ll Love Cheesy Chicken Fritters:
Feast your taste buds on these Cheesy Chicken Fritters! They’re not your average fritters. First, they come loaded with mozzarella, melting gracefully within every bite. Secondly, they’re adaptable for the gluten-free folks by simply switching to cornstarch or potato starch. And lastly? The fresh dill infusion. It’s like taking a mini-vacation to an Italian countryside with every morsel. Paired with the garlic aioli dip, it’s a culinary match made in heaven!
Ingredients For Cheesy Chicken Fritters:
- Chicken Breasts: Opt for organic, if possible. The quality of your chicken will elevate this dish to new heights.
- Mozzarella: Go for freshly shredded mozzarella for the best melt and flavor. Pre-packaged often has anti-caking agents.
- All-purpose Flour/Cornstarch/Potato Starch: Choose according to dietary needs. The gluten-free options don’t compromise on the texture.
- Dill: Fresh dill is the game-changer here. It brings an unmatched freshness and aroma.
- Extra Light Olive Oil: It’s preferable due to its high smoke point, making it ideal for sautéing.
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Fritters:
- Begin by taking those chicken breasts and dicing them into approximately 1/3″ thick pieces. Pop these into your mixing bowl. Little hint: If that chicken breast is still a tad frozen, it slices like a dream!
- Now, toss in the rest of your batter ingredients: eggs, mayo, your chosen flour or starch, that heavenly shredded mozzarella, dill, salt, and pepper. Give it a good mix until it’s looking fabulous, then cover it up and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Patience, my friend!
- Time for the sizzle! Get that non-stick pan out, warm it up over medium heat, and drizzle in the olive oil. When things start to shimmer, dollop in your chicken mix one heaping tablespoon at a time. Use your spoon’s back to give them a little flatten, then let them sizzle until they’re golden and gorgeous on each side.
- Aioli time! This is the cherry on top. Mix all the aioli ingredients in a bowl till they’re beautifully blended. And voila, you’re done!
Leftover fritters? No problem! Once cooled, store them in an airtight container and pop them in the fridge. They’re delightful for up to 3 days. Reheat on a skillet to retain that crispiness. Freezing? Lay them flat on a tray, freeze, and then transfer to a ziplock bag. They’ll stay tasty for up to a month. When hunger strikes, defrost and reheat!
Variations and Substitutions:
Switch it up, why don’t ya? Fancy some other cheese? Try cheddar or pepper jack for a spicy twist. Not a fan of dill? Parsley or cilantro will do the trick. For an added crunch, throw in some diced bell peppers. And for our vegetarian pals, replace chicken with mashed chickpeas for an equally delightful fritter experience! Whatever tickles your fancy, these fritters can handle it.
Cheesy Chicken Fritters
Ingredients for the Chicken Fritters:
- Chicken Breasts 1 1/2 lbs or equivalent to 3 large breasts
- Eggs 2, large
- Mayonnaise 1/3 cup
- All-purpose Flour 1/3 cup; alternatively, use cornstarch or potato starch for a gluten-free option.
- Mozzarella Cheese 4 oz or equivalent to 1 1/3 cups when shredded
- Fresh Dill finely chopped (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- Salt 1/2 tsp, adjust according to preference
- Black Pepper 1/8 tsp, adjust according to preference
- Extra Light Olive Oil 2 Tbsp, or any other high heat cooking oil suitable for sautéing
Ingredients for the Optional Garlic Aioli Dip:
- Mayonnaise 1/3 cup
- Garlic Clove pressed (1)
- Lemon Juice 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper 1/8 tsp
- Begin by dicing the chicken breasts into pieces approximately 1/3″ in thickness. Place these diced pieces into a large mixing bowl. It might be easier to slice if the chicken breast is slightly frozen.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: eggs, mayonnaise, flour (or your choice of starch), shredded mozzarella, dill, salt, and black pepper. Mix the components until uniformly combined. Once mixed, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight for optimal results.
- Prior to cooking, prepare a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil reaches its optimal temperature, introduce the chicken mixture, one tablespoon at a time, to the pan. Use a spoon to slightly flatten the mixture. Sauté each side for approximately 3-4 minutes or until each side is golden brown and the chicken is thoroughly cooked. It is advisable to repeat this process with the remaining mixture, adding additional oil as necessary.
- For those desiring the garlic aioli dip: In a separate, small mixing bowl, integrate the mayonnaise, pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Stir until the mixture achieves a uniform consistency.