Indulge in the delightful Crunchy Toffee Bits, a perfect blend of buttery shortbread, gooey toffee, and creamy chocolate. Main ingredients include light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, toffee bits, sweetened condensed milk, and milk chocolate chips.
Remember those lazy summer afternoons at Grandma’s, where the air smelled like butter and sugar? That’s where the “Crunchy Toffee Bits” recipe takes me back to. Grandma had a knack for blending simple ingredients into something magical. I’ve inherited her recipe box, and these toffee bars were a family treasure. Every bite is a sweet reminder of her kitchen, filled with laughter, love, and the irresistible scent of baking toffee and chocolate.
Why You’ll Love Crunchy toffee bits:
- Homemade Heaven: These bars strike the perfect balance between a cookie and candy, offering a homemade twist to traditional toffee treats.
- Texture Galore: With layers of buttery shortbread, gooey toffee, melted chocolate, and crunchy toffee bits, every bite is a sensory delight.
- Versatility: Whether it’s a casual family gathering or a fancy dinner party, these toffee bars fit any occasion, pleasing both kids and adults alike.
- Simplicity in Baking: Requiring common pantry items and straightforward steps, this recipe is accessible for bakers of all levels.
Ingredients Notes For Crunchy toffee bits
Embark on a sweet adventure with “Crunchy Toffee Bits,” where each ingredient plays a starring role. The unsalted butter ensures a perfect, non-greasy base, while light brown sugar adds a hint of molasses flavor. All-purpose flour keeps the crust just right in texture, and the toffee bits offer the crunch we all crave. Sweetened condensed milk brings everything together with its creamy richness. Lastly, milk chocolate chips provide a smooth, melt-in-your-mouth experience.
Dive into the world of baking with our “Crunchy Toffee Bits.” Each step, from preparing the crust to layering the topping, is designed to guide you to a delicious outcome.
- Crust Preparation: Start by creating a firm foundation with butter, brown sugar, flour, and salt. The key here is to achieve a crumbly yet cohesive mixture for the perfect base.
- Baking the Crust: The crust needs a short bake to set its texture, ensuring it holds up against the luscious toppings.
- Layering the Toffee Bits: Adding toffee bits immediately after baking the crust adds a crunchy surprise in every bite.
- Topping with Condensed Milk and Butter Mixture: This step involves evenly pouring a blend of sweetened condensed milk and butter over the crust, creating a gooey layer that’s to die for.
- Second Bake for Topping: A quick bake allows the topping to bubble up and set, forming the perfect sticky layer.
- Chocolate Chip Magic: Spreading softened chocolate chips over the hot toffee layer creates a smooth, chocolatey top.
- Final Touches: Add the remaining toffee bits and a dash of sea salt for that extra zing, then allow the bars to cool and set to perfection.
Once you’ve mastered the art of making these delightful “Crunchy Toffee Bits,” storing them is a breeze. They keep well at room temperature for a few days, making them perfect for snacking. For longer storage, refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to a week. For those who love their treats a bit firmer, popping them in the fridge is the way to go.
Variations and Substitutions
- Chocolate Varieties: Swap milk chocolate chips with dark or white chocolate for a different flavor profile.
- Nutty Affair: Add chopped nuts like almonds or pecans to the toffee layer for an extra crunch.
- Salted Caramel Twist: Drizzle salted caramel over the chocolate layer for a gooey, rich experience.
- Vegan-Friendly: Use vegan butter, dairy-free condensed milk, and vegan chocolate chips to cater to dietary preferences.
- Gluten-Free Option: Substitute all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend to make these treats accessible to those with gluten sensitivities.
Crunchy toffee bits
For the Crust:
- ½ cup of unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- ½ cup of light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup of toffee bits divided for separate uses
- ⅓ cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt optional, for garnish
Preparation of the Crust:
- Preheating and Pan Preparation: Begin by preheating your oven to a temperature of 350°F (175°C). Concurrently, prepare an 8×8 inch square baking dish by lining it with either foil or parchment paper. Once lined, apply a light coating of grease to the surface and set aside.
- Combining Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, employ either a hand mixer or a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment. Use this to thoroughly mix the softened unsalted butter and light brown sugar until a smooth and homogeneous mixture is achieved. Proceed to incorporate 1¼ cups of all-purpose flour and ¼ teaspoon of salt, continuing to mix until the mixture is crumbly but capable of holding together when pressed.
- Crust Formation: Transfer the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish. Utilize the bottom of a measuring cup to press the mixture firmly into the pan, ensuring an even and flat layer. Proceed to bake the crust for approximately 15 minutes, or until the edges exhibit a slight golden brown hue.
Preparation of the Topping:
- Initial Topping Layer: Immediately upon removing the crust from the oven, distribute ¼ cup of toffee bits evenly over its surface. In a separate vessel, combine ⅓ cup of sweetened condensed milk with 1 tablespoon of melted unsalted butter. Pour this mixture over the toffee bits, ensuring even coverage.
- Additional Baking: Return the baking dish to the oven and continue baking for an additional 7 to 10 minutes. The criterion for completion is a visible bubbling of the mixture.
- Final Topping Layer: After baking, place the dish on a wire rack for cooling. Subsequently, sprinkle 1 cup of milk chocolate chips over the top. Allow a brief period of 3 to 5 minutes for the chocolate chips to soften. Then, gently spread the softened chocolate using a small offset spatula, taking care not to disturb the underlying toffee layer. Immediately following, sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup of toffee bits over the chocolate, adding a sprinkling of flaky sea salt if desired.
- Cooling and Setting: Allow the bars to cool at room temperature until they reach a state of equilibrium. If necessary, the bars may be transferred to a refrigerator to expedite the firming of the chocolate layer.