Now that the weather is a bit cooler, I have been craving lots of hearty soups. Just last week I made a creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup. It was the perfect one-pot wonder to kick off the fall season.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup is more waist-friendly than the tortellini soup, but is still packed with flavor. Chicken Parmigiana is usually made by baking breaded chicken with cheese and tomato sauce. It’s delicious, but quite a heavy dish. Diced tomatoes and slow cooked chicken replace the heavy tomato sauce and fried chicken in this soup.
My biggest tip for this recipe is to use a really good Parmesan cheese. Buying Parmesan cheese with a nice, strong flavor will make this soup just that much better.
I also always grate lots of fresh Parmesan over the bowls just before serving. I just can’t get enough.
If you prefer stuffed pasta like tortellini, feel free to substitute it for the shell pasta. For slow cooker dishes like this, I usually just use whatever ingredients I can find in the pantry. For example, I always have a variety of dry pastas and diced tomato flavors. For this particular recipe, I used Italian Style diced tomatoes, but the other varieties should work just as well. Sometimes it’s nice to add a chipotle or roasted pepper flavor to your soup!
Next time, I may even add beans and vegetables to the soup and serve it alongside some crusty bread and wine.
This soup also freezes well to make wonderful leftovers. However, if I don’t freeze it right away, the leftovers disappear quickly in the fridge.
That’s okay with me though. It’s the sign of a good dish.
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 oz dry shell pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- grated parmesan, for serving
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper, onion, Parmesan cheese, dried Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add the dry pasta. Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and chopped flat leaf parsley.