Whenever the weather becomes a bit cooler, I find myself turning to my crock-pot recipes. Full of flavor, they are perfect for the fall season. However, this taco chicken chili is definitely a meal that I make throughout the year. It’s one of those throw-everything-in-a-pot recipes that really couldn’t get any easier.
Seriously, I don’t think it’s possible.
Every time I make this taco chicken chili, I make it differently. I usually don’t have a variety of canned beans on hand, but have about seven different flavors of diced tomatoes (with no two alike). It always ends up as a bit of an experiment. I usually stare into my pantry and think:
“Well, let’s try chipotle-flavored diced tomatoes with garlic-flavored diced tomatoes. Since I don’t have tomato sauce on hand, how about a bit of tomato paste and chicken stock? There’s a can of tuna there…”
Okay too far.
Even with the experimentation, it still turns out absolutely delicious. The best part about this dish? It’s healthy too. With all of the baking that I’ve been doing for That Oven Feelin’, it’s nice to eat a lighter dinner.
It’s good by itself, over rice, or even in lettuce wraps.
Have you seen my tip for shredding chicken? It makes shredding chicken super-easy too! I told you this recipe couldn’t get any easier.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans (16 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans (16 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can corn (16 oz), drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- In a large crock-pot, add all of the ingredients and stir. Draining and rinsing the beans is not necessary, but it will help cut down on the amount of liquid in the crock-pot later on.
- Cook on high approximately 4 hours or on low 6-8 hours, until done.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Return the chicken to the crock-pot and cook for an additional 20 minutes. This will allow the shredded chicken to absorb a bit more of the liquid.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!