Indulge in the delectable blend of caramel, chocolate, and oats with our Carmelita Cookies recipe. A delightful twist on the classic Carmelita Cookie Bar, these treats are loaded with butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, kosher salt, all-purpose flour, quick oats, chocolate chips, and caramel-filled candies. Perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth!
Growing up, my grandmother had a special recipe for Carmelita Cookie Bars that she passed down through generations. As a modern twist to honor her legacy, I transformed her classic bars into Carmelita Cookies. Each cookie, infused with love and nostalgia, reminds me of cozy afternoons spent baking with her. The sweet aroma of caramel and chocolate chips wafting through her kitchen became a symbol of comfort and joy in our family. Now, every bite of these cookies takes me back to those precious moments with grandma, sharing stories and laughter over freshly baked treats.
Why You’ll Love These Carmelita Cookies
Our Carmelita Cookies stand out for their irresistible combination of textures and flavors. Firstly, the use of quick oats adds a delightful chewiness, contrasting with the smooth, rich caramel center. The choice of frozen Rolo candies ensures a gooey caramel surprise in each bite. Moreover, the recipe’s adaptability to various caramel-filled chocolates allows for creative customization. Lastly, the convenience of preparing these cookies with common pantry ingredients makes them a perfect go-to treat for any occasion.
Crafting the perfect Carmelita Cookies begins with understanding each ingredient’s role. Here’s a breakdown:
- Butter (Room Temperature): Provides a rich, creamy base. Ensure it’s at room temperature for optimal mixing.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds a moist, chewy texture and a hint of caramel flavor.
- Eggs: Bind the ingredients together and add structure.
- Vanilla: Enhances the overall flavor profile.
- Baking Soda & Kosher Salt: Baking soda helps the cookies rise, while salt balances the sweetness.
- All-Purpose Flour: The foundation of the cookie structure.
- Quick Oats: Adds a delightful chewiness and a rustic texture.
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips bring a classic chocolatey touch.
- Frozen Rolo Candies: The frozen state ensures a gooey caramel center.
Follow these steps for perfect Carmelita Cookies:
- Step 1: Creaming Butter and Sugar – Blend butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. This creates a light and fluffy base.
- Step 2: Adding Wet Ingredients – Incorporate eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Mix until smooth, ensuring even distribution of flavors.
- Step 3: Incorporating Dry Ingredients – Gently mix in flour, then oats. It’s crucial to avoid overmixing to maintain a tender texture.
- Step 4: Chocolate Chips – Fold in chocolate chips on low speed. This ensures they’re evenly distributed without breaking.
- Step 5: Chilling the Dough – Chill the dough for an hour. This step is vital for texture and flavor development.
- Step 6: Preparing for Baking – After chilling the dough, preheat the oven and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Step 7: Forming Cookies – Scoop dough, insert a frozen caramel candy, and form a ball. Ensure the candy is fully enclosed to prevent leakage.
- Step 8: Baking – Bake until golden. The key is to watch for just-set tops to avoid overbaking.
- Step 9: Cooling – Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet before transferring them to a rack. This step is crucial for texture.
For optimal freshness, store Carmelita Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Place the cookies in a freezer-safe container, separating layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking. When ready to enjoy, thaw at room temperature for a few hours. These storage methods ensure that every cookie remains as delightful as the day it was baked.
Variations and Substitutions
Customize your Carmelita Cookies with these variations:
- Different Caramel Candies: Swap Rolos for any caramel-filled chocolate candy to experiment with different caramel textures and flavors.
- Flour Alternatives: For a gluten-free option, use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Oats Variations: Replace quick oats with old-fashioned oats for a heartier texture.
- Vegan Adaptation: Use plant-based butter, egg substitutes, and vegan chocolate chips.
- Nut Additions: Add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts for an extra crunch.
These variations allow you to tailor the cookies to your preferences or dietary needs, ensuring everyone can enjoy this delightful treat!
- 1 1/4 cups of Butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 1 3/4 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups of Quick Oats
- 2 cups of Chocolate Chips
- 36 Rolo Candies unwrapped and frozen (or equivalent caramel-filled chocolate candy)
- Initial Preparation: Begin by placing the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment. Operate the mixer at a medium speed for a duration of 2 minutes to achieve a homogeneous mixture.
- Incorporating Wet Ingredients: Proceed by adding the eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda, and kosher salt into the mixture. Continue mixing for an additional minute until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and the mixture appears smooth.
- Adding Dry Ingredients: Reduce the mixer's speed to low and gradually introduce the all-purpose flour. Mix until just combined. Follow this by adding the quick oats. Increase the mixer speed to medium if necessary to ensure even incorporation.
- Inclusion of Chocolate Chips: With the mixer still set on low, add the chocolate chips into the batter, mixing until they are evenly distributed.
- Dough Chilling: Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour. Concurrently, ensure that the caramel-filled candies are frozen.
- Pre-Baking Arrangements: Once the dough is sufficiently chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Forming the Cookies: Utilize a medium-sized (2-tablespoon) cookie scoop to portion the dough. Insert a caramel candy into each portion, wrapping the dough around the candy and sealing it to form a ball. Place the dough balls approximately 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Baking Process: Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the tops have just set.
- Cooling: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.