Succumb to the siren call of crescent rolls, embracing a harmonious blend of creamy cheese, juicy meatballs, tangy marinara, and a generous sprinkle of mozzarella. Dive fork-first into a fusion of Italy’s finest in a cupcake-shaped surprise.
Oh, where do I begin? It was a drizzly Tuesday evening, and I had just been jilted by my go-to spaghetti dinner. A betrayal, if you ask me, as the noodles had turned into a clumpy disaster. Disheartened, I gazed upon a leftover can of crescent rolls, my jar of marinara sulking in the corner, and a bag of meatballs giving me the cold shoulder from the freezer. Inspiration struck! Why not create something that captures the essence of a meatball sub, minus the noodly faux pas? And voilà! The Meatball Sub Cupcakes were born. It’s amazing how culinary triumphs often sprout from the ruins of dinner disasters, right?
Why These Little Delights Stand Out:
Meatball Sub Cupcakes aren’t just your regular meatball subs. Oh no, they’re a mouthful of magic!
Firstly, they’re individual servings, which means no messy meatball chasing off your sub and onto your lap.
Secondly, they are fast. I mean, who has an entire afternoon to spare? From dough to done in under 30 minutes!
Lastly, they’re versatile. Got leftovers? Pop them in the freezer for that day when you’ve binge-watched an entire series and forgot about dinner (again).
A Closer Look at Those Ingredients:
- Crescent Rolls: These buttery, flaky rolls are the foundation. You’ll need them ready-to-roll and refrigerated.
- Cream Cheese: Opt for softened. It’ll mix way easier, and nobody has time for an unexpected arm workout.
- Italian Seasoning: This gives the necessary “Ooh! Am I in Italy?” vibe. Essential, if you ask me.
- Mozzarella: The melty, stringy star of the show. Freshly shredded always melts better, but pre-shredded works in a pinch.
- Meatballs: Frozen meatballs to the rescue! No judgement if you grab an extra for a snack.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Go for a brand you’d happily smother your pasta in. It’ll make all the difference.
Breaking It Down, Step-By-Tantalizing-Step:
Warm-Up Routine: Start with cranking up that oven to 375ºF. Grab your muffin pan, giving it a generous spritz with cooking spray. Because, you know, we want cupcakes, not cup-stucks.
Dough Drama: Roll out the crescent dough, pinching those seams together like they’ve had a disagreement. Aim for an 8×18 inch rectangle (close enough is good enough, Picasso!). Then, with the grace of a baker, cut that dough into 12 squares. Pop each square into a muffin cup, gently urging them to conform to their new curvy shape.
Cheesy Affair: In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Italian seasoning, and half of the mozzarella. This is where things get creamy and dreamy.
Assemble the Troops: Divide your cream cheese mix, dolloping it at the base of each dough-filled cup. Plop a meatball onto this cheesy bed, and drench each meatball with 2 tablespoons of that luscious spaghetti sauce. As a final flourish, sprinkle over the remaining mozzarella.
Bake and Awe: Into the oven they go, for 15 to 18 minutes, until they’re flaunting a golden brown tan.
Got leftovers? First off, kudos on your self-control! For short term, you can refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Planning ahead? These little wonders freeze beautifully. Just pop them in a freezer-friendly bag or container, and they’ll be good for a month or two. When you’re ready for round two, simply reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Variety is the Spice of Meatball Life:
For vegetarians, swap in veggie meatballs.
Watching your dairy? Try a plant-based mozzarella and cream cheese.
Want to spice things up? Mix in some crushed red pepper with your Italian seasoning or opt for a spicy marinara. The world is your meatball… or, cupcake.
Meatball Sub Cupcakes
- 1 8-oz can of refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 4 oz of cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¾ tsp of Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup of finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 1-oz frozen meatballs
- 1¼ cup of premium spaghetti sauce
- Oven Preparation: Preheat the oven to a temperature of 375ºF. Thoroughly grease 12 standard-sized muffin cups using non-stick cooking spray. Set this aside for subsequent use.
- Dough Preparation: Carefully extract the dough from its canister, ensuring to seal any seams present. Gently stretch and shape the dough into a rectangle measuring approximately 8×18 inches. Using a sharp knife, section the dough into 12 even squares. Proceed to fit these squares into the previously prepared muffin cups, ensuring a snug fit.
- Cheese Mixture: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, Italian seasoning, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Stir until the mixture is uniform in consistency.
- Assembly: Equally divide the cream cheese mixture, placing a portion into the base of each muffin cup. On top of this, position a meatball. Follow this by spooning approximately 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce over each meatball. To finish, evenly distribute the remaining mozzarella cheese over each cup.
- Baking: Place the muffin tray into the preheated oven and allow the Meatball Sub Cupcakes to bake for a duration of 15 to 18 minutes, or until they attain a deep golden brown hue. Once done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.