Indulge in the festive delight of Peppermint Kiss Cookies. Main ingredients include all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint kisses candies. Perfect for holiday treats!
Every year as the holidays approach, my kitchen turns into a magical workshop, and the star of the show is always my Peppermint Kiss Cookies. These cookies are more than just a recipe; they’re a nostalgic journey back to my childhood. I remember sneaking into my grandmother’s kitchen, lured by the intoxicating scent of cocoa and peppermint. She would let me press the peppermint kisses onto each warm cookie, my tiny fingers wobbling with excitement. Those moments, filled with laughter and the warmth of family love, are what I recreate every time I bake these cookies. They’re not just cookies; they’re a piece of my heart, shared with every bite.
Why You’ll Love Peppermint Kiss Cookies
The charm of this Peppermint Kiss Cookies recipe lies in its unique blend of simplicity and festive flair. Firstly, it’s a beginner-friendly recipe, ensuring that anyone, regardless of their baking expertise, can create these delightful treats. The combination of rich cocoa and refreshing peppermint brings a burst of holiday spirit to your taste buds. Moreover, these cookies are versatile for various occasions, from cozy family gatherings to elegant holiday parties. Lastly, their eye-catching appearance, with the shiny peppermint kiss atop each cookie, makes them as visually appealing as they are delicious.
Ingredients Notes For Peppermint Kiss Cookies
Embarking on the Peppermint Kiss Cookies Adventure: Before diving into this sweet endeavor, let’s talk ingredients. We start with the foundation, all-purpose flour, ensuring your cookies have the perfect structure. The unsweetened cocoa powder is a nod to chocolate lovers, infusing a deep, rich flavor. Cornstarch is our secret ingredient, adding a tender crumb to the cookies. Don’t forget the baking powder and a pinch of salt to balance and lift the flavors. The heart of these cookies is the unsalted butter and granulated sugar, creating a creamy, sweet base. The egg and vanilla extract add moisture and a hint of aromatic essence. And finally, the crowning glory, peppermint kisses candies, bringing a festive touch and a burst of peppermint bliss.
How To Make Peppermint Kiss Cookies
Let’s Bake Peppermint Kiss Cookies!
- Prep the Stage: Start by preheating your oven to 350° and lining your cookie sheets with parchment paper. This sets the stage for your baking masterpiece.
- Mixing Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. This step ensures an even distribution of each ingredient, vital for cookie consistency.
- Creaming Butter and Sugar: In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy using an electric mixer. This process incorporates air into the batter, making your cookies light and tender.
- Adding Egg and Vanilla: Next, mix in the egg and vanilla extract. The egg binds the ingredients together, while vanilla adds a subtle, aromatic flavor.
- Combining Dry and Wet Ingredients: Gradually mix in the dry ingredients at low speed. The dough will become crumbly yet pliable – perfect for shaping your cookies.
- Shaping Cookies: Using a cookie scoop, form tight, smooth balls of dough and place them on your cookie sheets. Ensure they are spaced out for even baking.
- Creating Indentations: Gently press the center of each cookie. It’s fine if the dough cracks a bit – it adds character!
- Baking Time: Bake each sheet individually for 15 minutes. If the cookies puff up, gently press them down again.
- Adding the Kiss: Let the cookies cool slightly on a rack, then press a peppermint kiss into each one. The warmth will slightly melt the candy, creating a perfect bond.
- Cooling Down: Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving. This rest time lets the flavors meld beautifully.
These Peppermint Kiss Cookies are as versatile in storage as they are in flavor. Once completely cooled, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week – if they last that long! For longer storage, you can freeze the cookies for up to three months. Just ensure they’re wrapped tightly to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to indulge again, let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours. Their texture and taste remain as enchanting as the day they were baked!
Variations and Substitutions
Customizing Your Peppermint Kiss Cookies:
- Flour Alternatives: For those with gluten sensitivities, substituting all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend works wonderfully.
- Cocoa Powder Swaps: Feel free to experiment with dark cocoa powder for a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Vegan Adaptation: Substitute the butter with a plant-based alternative and use a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water) instead of a regular egg.
- Sugar Options: Swapping granulated sugar with coconut sugar or brown sugar can add a caramel-like depth to your cookies.
- Candy Variations: If peppermint kisses are not your thing or hard to find, any chocolate-based candy will do the trick. Think chocolate chunks or even flavored chocolate pieces for a twist.
Peppermint Kiss Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour properly spooned and leveled
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter equivalent to one stick, at room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 22 Peppermint Kisses Candies
- Oven Preparation: Initiate by preheating your oven to a temperature of 350° Fahrenheit. Prepare two large cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Set these aside for subsequent use.
- Dry Ingredients Mixture: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the following dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Employ a whisk for thorough mixing, ensuring an even distribution of the ingredients.
- Creaming Process: In a separate, larger bowl, utilize an electric hand mixer to cream together the unsalted butter and granulated sugar. Continue this process until the mixture achieves a fluffy consistency.
- Incorporation of Egg and Vanilla Extract: To the creamed mixture, add one large egg and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Continue to mix, ensuring these ingredients are well integrated into the batter.
- Combining Wet and Dry Mixtures: Gradually introduce the dry ingredient mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix at a low speed setting until the dough reaches a crumbly yet pliable consistency.
- Forming the Cookies: Utilize a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop to extract portions of dough. Manually roll these portions into tight, smooth balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets, maintaining a distance of approximately 2 inches between each cookie.
- Shaping the Cookies: Gently press down the center of each dough ball using a measuring teaspoon. It is acceptable for minor cracks to appear in the dough during this process.
- Baking: Place one cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for a duration of 15 minutes, or until the cookies have slightly risen. If necessary, repress the centers of the cookies post-baking if they have risen excessively.
- Adding the Peppermint Kisses: After baking, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool for approximately 5 minutes, until they are warm but not excessively hot to the touch. Subsequently, press a peppermint kiss candy into the center of each cookie.
- Final Cooling: Await the complete cooling of the cookies before serving. This step is crucial to allow the flavors to fully develop and the cookies to achieve the desired texture.