Savor the rich flavors of the South with this “Southern Style Potato Salad,” crafted from tender potatoes, creamy mayonnaise, tangy mustard, crisp celery, and flavorful green onions, all enhanced with a touch of sweet pickle relish and apple cider vinegar.
Ah, “Southern Style Potato Salad,” a dish that transports me back to lazy summer afternoons at my grandmother’s farmhouse. I remember her peeling potatoes with unmatched skill, the kitchen filled with the comforting aroma of boiled eggs and her secret ingredient – a generous dollop of love. Each bite was a blend of creamy, tangy, and crunchy textures, making family gatherings a little more special. This recipe is more than a salad; it’s a heartwarming tribute to my Southern roots and those cherished, sun-drenched days.
Why You’ll Love Southern Style Potato salad
- Authentic Southern Charm: Every spoonful of this potato salad tastes like it’s straight from a Southern kitchen.
- Perfect Balance of Flavors: The combination of sweet pickle relish, creamy mayonnaise, and tangy mustard creates a symphony of flavors.
- Versatility: Ideal for picnics, family gatherings, or as a comforting side dish.
- Customizable: Easily adaptable to suit different tastes or dietary needs.
- Simple and Quick: Ready in just 30 minutes, it’s perfect for those last-minute meal plans.
This “Southern Style Potato Salad” is a delightful medley of simple yet flavorful ingredients. The choice of potatoes – Yukon Gold, Russet, or Red – lays the foundation with their distinct textures. Duke’s mayonnaise brings a creamy richness, while yellow mustard adds a tangy kick. The subtle acidity of apple cider vinegar enhances the overall taste. Sweet pickle relish infuses a hint of sweetness, contrasting beautifully with the savory hard-boiled eggs, crisp celery, and fresh green onions. Seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and garnished with paprika, this salad is a celebration of flavors and textures.
- Potato Preparation: Start by boiling the cubed potatoes until fork-tender, a crucial step for the perfect texture.
- Dressing Creation: Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. This blend is the heart of the salad, providing creaminess and tang.
- Combining Ingredients: Add relish, eggs, celery, onions, and potatoes to the dressing. Folding them gently ensures each cube is coated without falling apart.
- Seasoning: Taste and season with salt and pepper. This stage is all about personalizing the flavor.
- Garnishing: A sprinkle of paprika not only adds a pop of color but a subtle warmth to the dish.
This “Southern Style Potato Salad” keeps well in the refrigerator, ideally in an airtight container for up to 5 days. It’s not freezer-friendly, as the texture of the potatoes and dressing can change unfavorably. For optimal taste, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving if it’s been chilled.
Variations and Substitutions
- Mayonnaise Alternatives: Use Greek yogurt or sour cream for a lighter version.
- Mustard Varieties: Experiment with Dijon or whole grain mustard for a different flavor profile.
- Vinegar Options: White wine vinegar or lemon juice can replace apple cider vinegar.
- Add-Ins: Bacon, diced red pepper, or chives make great additions for extra texture and flavor.
- Dietary Adjustments: For a healthier twist, opt for low-fat mayonnaise or increase the proportion of veggies.
Southern Style Potato salad
- 3 pounds of Yukon Gold Russet, or Red Potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup of high-quality mayonnaise preferably Duke’s brand
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of sweet pickle relish
- 4 hard-boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs of celery finely chopped
- ⅓ cup of green onions finely chopped
- Kosher salt adjusted to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper adjusted to taste
- Paprika for garnishing
- Potato Preparation: Begin by placing the cubed potatoes into a large pot. Cover them entirely with cold water. Proceed to bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork. Once cooked, drain the potatoes in a colander and allow them to cool slightly.
- Dressing Preparation: In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk these ingredients together until they are thoroughly blended.
- Combining the Ingredients: To the prepared dressing, add the sweet pickle relish, chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped celery, green onions, and the previously drained potatoes. Using a gentle folding motion, mix these ingredients into the dressing, ensuring that the potatoes and vegetables are evenly coated.
- Seasoning the Salad: Season the mixture with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste preferences.
- Final Presentation: Transfer the salad to a serving dish. As a finishing touch, lightly sprinkle the surface with paprika. This not only adds a subtle flavor but also enhances the visual appeal of the dish.