Classic Vanilla Slice Recipe: A Heavenly Blend of Flaky Pastry and Creamy Vanilla Custard
Experience the blissful harmony of buttery puff pastry and rich vanilla bean custard in this classic vanilla slice recipe. Perfect for a sweet indulgence!
A Slice of Nostalgia: My Journey with the Classic Vanilla Slice
Every bite of this vanilla slice takes me back to sunny afternoons at my grandmother’s kitchen, where the aroma of buttery pastry and vanilla filled the air. It’s not just a recipe; it’s a cherished memory of love, laughter, and the magic of simple ingredients transforming into something extraordinary.
The Irresistible Charm of the Classic Vanilla Slice
- Simplicity Meets Elegance: This recipe marries straightforward preparation with luxurious taste.
- Texture Paradise: The contrasting textures of flaky pastry and smooth custard create a delightful mouthfeel.
- Vanilla Bean Magic: The use of vanilla bean paste adds depth and authenticity to the flavor.
- Perfect for Every Occasion: Whether it’s a casual gathering or a fancy dinner, this dessert fits in seamlessly.
Building Blocks of the Classic Vanilla Slice: A Closer Look
- Butter Puff Pastry: The foundation of our dessert, providing a flaky and rich texture.
- Caster Sugar: Ensures a smooth custard without the graininess.
- Corn Starch: A thickening agent that gives the custard its perfect consistency.
- Egg Yolks: Enriches the custard, making it creamy and luxurious.
- Milk: The canvas to our flavor masterpiece.
- Vanilla Bean Paste: The star ingredient that elevates the custard with its speckled beauty and deep flavor.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds richness and balances the sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar: For that final touch of sweetness and elegance.
Step-by-Step Guide to the Perfect Classic Vanilla Slice
- Prepping the Pastry: Begin by thawing and baking the puff pastry until golden. Remember, patience here is key to achieving that perfect base and top.
- Custard Crafting: Whisk your way to a creamy dream by combining the sugar, corn starch, egg yolks, and milk. Cook until thickened, and then whisk in the butter for that extra richness.
- Assembling the Masterpiece: Line your tray, place the pastry, sieve the custard on top, and cover with the second pastry sheet. The overnight chill is crucial – don’t rush this step!
- The Art of Slicing: A sharp serrated knife is your best friend here. Gentle scoring and a clean slice through will give you those perfect layers.
Keeping Your Classic Vanilla Slice Fresh and Delicious
The vanilla slice can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, making sure it’s covered to retain its moisture and freshness. Freezing is not recommended as it may alter the texture of the custard and pastry.
Tailoring the Classic Vanilla Slice to Your Taste
- Gluten-Free Option: Swap the puff pastry with a gluten-free variety.
- Dairy-Free Twist: Use plant-based milk and butter for a dairy-free version.
- Flavor Variations: Experiment with lemon zest or almond extract to add a new flavor dimension.
- Sugar Alternatives: Replace caster sugar with a sugar substitute suitable for baking.
Enjoy crafting this timeless dessert with your personal touch!
Classic Vanilla Slice
- Two sheets of frozen butter puff pastry
- 110 grams of caster sugar
- 40 grams of corn starch
- 8 egg yolks
- 750 milliliters of milk heated
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
- 113 grams of unsalted butter
- 50 grams of powdered sugar
For the Pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the frozen puff pastry sheets on two separate baking trays lined with parchment paper. Allow the pastry to thaw. Once thawed, prick the surface of each sheet with a fork. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and place a second baking tray on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry attains a golden color. After baking, let the pastry cool down completely. Place a square 9-inch baking tin on top of one pastry sheet and trim it to fit the tin’s bottom using a serrated knife. Repeat this process for the second pastry sheet, trimming it to fit the top of the baking tin.
For the Vanilla Custard:
- Combine the caster sugar and corn starch in a large, heat-proof bowl. Whisk them together. Incorporate the egg yolks into the mixture, whisking thoroughly. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the hot milk, whisking continuously. Then, incorporate the remaining milk and the vanilla bean paste, continuing to whisk.
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and add the unsalted butter, whisking until the butter is completely melted and well incorporated into the custard.
Assembling the Vanilla Slice:
- Line the bottom and sides of the baking tin with parchment paper. Place the smaller pastry sheet inside the tin. Sieve the custard over the pastry, ensuring an even distribution. Smooth the custard surface using a spatula. Place the second pastry sheet on top of the custard. Refrigerate the assembled dessert overnight to allow it to firm up.
Cutting the Vanilla Slice:
- Carefully remove the vanilla slice from the baking tin and place it on a chopping board.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to score the top pastry layer gently. Then, slice through the entire dessert in a single motion, ensuring to wipe the knife clean between cuts. Conclude by dusting the top with powdered sugar before serving.