Delight in the flavors of Fall with Caramel Apple Hand Pies! Crafted with Honeycrisp apples, rich caramel syrup, and a flaky pie crust, these handheld treasures are the epitome of cozy, autumn comfort.
Oh, the memories this recipe brings! Growing up, every Fall, my family would head to the orchards to pick the ripest, juiciest apples. It was during one such trip that inspiration struck my grandma. While munching on a caramel apple, she thought, “Why not wrap this deliciousness inside a pie crust?” And just like that, our family’s Caramel Apple Hand Pies were born. These pies became the star of every family gathering, and I swear, they’re the secret weapon I used to woo my now-husband! Every bite is a trip down memory lane, reminding me of chilly afternoons, the scent of apples in the air, and grandma’s warm kitchen.
Why You’ll Love Caramel Apple Hand Pies:
Looking for that showstopper dessert? Here’s why these Caramel Apple Hand Pies are the answer:
- Perfect Portion Control: These mini pies ensure you won’t overindulge (unless you devour three in one sitting, but who’s judging?).
- No Utensils Needed: No forks, no plates, just your hands and an appetite.
- Versatility: Ideal for picnics, lunchboxes, or cozy nights by the fireplace.
- All the Classic Flavors, with a Twist: They encapsulate the essence of traditional apple pie but with a caramel twist, ensuring every bite is a delightful surprise!
Ingredients Notes for the “Caramel Apple Hand Pies” Recipe:
- Honeycrisp Apples: These are a sweet and crisp choice, but feel free to experiment with your favorite apple varieties. Just remember, the juicier the apple, the better the filling!
- Caramel Syrup: Opt for a quality brand, or if you’re feeling adventurous, whip up your homemade version.
- Premade Refrigerated Pie Crust: A lifesaver for those short on time! However, if you’ve got a cherished family pie crust recipe, by all means, use it!
Recipe Breakdown and Detailed Steps:
Step 1: Kick things off by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Those sheet pans? Line ’em with parchment paper to avoid sticky situations later on.
Step 2: In a skillet (medium-sized is perfect), mix together the diced Honeycrisp apples, caramel syrup, brown sugar, butter, and that hint of allspice. This concoction is about to become your new best friend.
Step 3: Turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook until those apple bits are soft enough to be poked through with a fork. This typically takes around five minutes. Once done, let the mixture cool for about ten minutes.
Step 4: Time to roll! Flatten the pie crusts slightly on a floured surface. Using your trusty cookie cutter, aim to get 8 circles from each crust.
Step 5: Those bottom pie crust circles need some TLC. Fill each with about 1 ½ Tablespoons of the apple filling.
Step 6: Overlay the second pie crust, gently pressing around the apple filling to seal the deal.
Step 7: Use a sandwich sealer or cookie cutter to shape each pie, sealing the edges with a fork to ensure no delicious filling escapes during baking.
Step 8: Here’s a little secret – those three slits on the top crust? They’re not just for looks. They’ll help your pies breathe while baking, ensuring they don’t puff up too much.
Step 9: Let’s add some shine! Whisk the egg and heavy cream together to make an egg wash. Generously brush this over the tops of your pies.
Step 10: It’s showtime! Pop them in the oven for 13-16 minutes. Once they’re golden brown, you’ll know they’re ready.
Step 11: Let them cool a bit before serving. Patience, my friend. Good things come to those who wait!
Storage Options for the “Caramel Apple Hand Pies” Recipe:
Fresh is best, but if you happen to have leftovers (unlikely, but possible), store these pies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Planning ahead? They freeze beautifully! Just make sure they’re wrapped well, and when the craving strikes, thaw and reheat in the oven for that fresh-baked taste.
Variations and Substitutions for the “Caramel Apple Hand Pies” Recipe:
- Apple Choices: Swap out Honeycrisp for Granny Smith for a tarter taste or Golden Delicious for a sweeter profile.
- Feeling Nutty?: Add chopped walnuts or pecans to the filling.
- Dough Decisions: Venture beyond the pre-made crust. Puff pastry or phyllo dough offers a delightful twist.
- Dairy-Free: Substitute coconut milk or almond milk for the heavy cream in the egg wash, and use a vegan butter alternative.
There you have it, folks! Dive into Fall with these delicious Caramel Apple Hand Pies. If you’re not making them already, I’ll bet my favorite rolling pin you’ll be dreaming about them tonight! 😉
Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- 2 Honeycrisp apples small-sized, peeled, cored, and finely diced (approximately 1 ½ cups)
- ⅓ cup high-quality caramel syrup
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar lightly packed
- ¼ cup salted butter equivalent to ½ stick
- ½ tsp allspice
- 14.1- ounce package of refrigerated pie crust package should contain 2 separate pie crusts
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Begin by preheating the oven to a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two sheet pans by lining them with parchment paper.
- Utilize a medium-sized skillet to combine the finely diced Honeycrisp apples with the caramel syrup, brown sugar, butter, and allspice.
- Cook the mixture over medium-high heat until the apples achieve a fork-tender consistency, which should take approximately five minutes. Once cooked, remove the skillet from the heat source and allow the mixture to cool for about ten minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crusts. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten the dough. Proceed to use a large 3-4 inch diameter cookie cutter or a sandwich sealer to shape 8 circles from each crust.
- Delicately mark 8 indents on the bottom pie crust, using the cookie cutter, to designate where the filling will be placed.
- Fill each of the indents on the bottom pie crust with roughly 1 ½ Tablespoons of the previously prepared apple filling.
- Overlay the second pie crust on top of the filled circles. Ensure there is adequate extra crust to enclose the filling. Press gently around the periphery of each filled circle to ensure it’s sealed properly.
- Shape and seal each hand pie, using a sandwich sealer. Alternatively, employ a cookie cutter to shape each pie and subsequently use a fork to press and seal the edges.
- Make three ventilation slits in the center of the top crust circles to ensure proper heat circulation during baking.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg and heavy cream to create an egg wash mixture. Brush the tops of the hand pies with this mixture.
- Place the prepared hand pies in the oven and bake for a duration of 13-16 minutes or until they achieve a golden brown hue.
- Once baked, remove the hand pies from the oven and set them aside to cool before serving.