Dive into a hearty dish of gnocchi & sausage enveloped in a creamy butternut squash sauce, enriched with fresh sage, thyme, and a touch of garlic. Perfect for those cozy fall nights!
Oh, the memories! Every time I whip up this “Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage”, it’s like teleporting straight back to my Grandma Rosa’s kitchen. Picture this: an old Italian house with wooden beams, the smell of burning logs from the fireplace, and Grandma, with flour on her cheeks, laughing while rolling out homemade gnocchi. But, surprise, surprise, it wasn’t just the gnocchi she was famous for! Her secret weapon? A butternut squash she’d grow in her backyard. Combined with those juicy sausage links from the local butcher, every meal was like a warm, comforting embrace. Though I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit to suit our fast-paced lives (sorry Grandma, I don’t always have time to make gnocchi from scratch), the essence remains the same. It’s nostalgia, comfort, and love in one pan!
Why You’ll Love Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage:
Three words: Quick. Hearty. Sophisticated.
This “Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage” isn’t just a mouthful by name; it promises a symphony of autumn flavors in every bite. Made in just one pan in 40 minutes, it’s a weeknight savior.
Yet, with its rich, golden hue and robust flavors, it’s also sophisticated enough to be the star dish at your next dinner party. It perfectly balances the creamy sweetness of butternut squash with the savory kick of Italian sausage, all harmonized with fresh herbs.
Ingredients Notes For This Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage:
Choosing the right Italian sausage is key. Go for quality; it will shine through in the final dish.
The butternut squash puree can be store-bought or homemade, just ensure it’s smooth and creamy.
Fresh sage and thyme are non-negotiable; they bring this dish to life.
As for the gnocchi, go for the potato ones – they absorb the sauce beautifully.
And remember, salt judiciously; sausage brings its own saltiness.
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE FULL RECIPE CARD
How To Make Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage:
Let’s embark on this culinary journey!
Start by liberating the sausage from its casing and give them a good slice. Fire up that skillet, let it embrace some olive oil, and toss in those sausage slices. Let one side sizzle and get that scrumptious brown, about 4 minutes. Flip, and grant the other side its golden moment.
Now, it’s time to welcome the gnocchi, heavy cream, and chicken stock. Let the magic happen. Once they’ve mingled well and the gnocchi is softening, introduce them to the lush butternut squash puree and fragrant minced garlic. Give it some time, let the flavors meld and the sauce thicken to your desired consistency.
As you’re almost ready to serve, stir in half of the fresh sage and thyme, adding a touch of salt and pepper. Remember, the sausage might have already shared some saltiness, so tread carefully. Serve in generous bowls, garnished with the remaining fresh herbs, and prepare for the applause!
This dish is like that book you can’t put down – it’s best enjoyed in one go! But if you find yourself with leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. When reheating, you might want to add a splash of chicken stock or cream to bring back its saucy glory.
Variations & Substitutions:
Flexibility is this dish’s middle name! Not a fan of sausage? Try pancetta or even a plant-based alternative. If you fancy a different kind of squash or want to make it a bit lighter, substitute half of the heavy cream with milk. If gnocchi isn’t your thing, pasta like penne or fusilli can jump in. And if you’re feeling adventurous, sprinkle some toasted walnuts or pine nuts for that added crunch!
And remember, always trust your gut – not just in digestion but in cooking too! 😉
Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Sausage
- 12 oz of quality Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tablespoon of premium olive oil
- 10 oz of potato gnocchi
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of smooth butternut squash puree
- 3 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper adjusted to taste
- Begin by carefully removing the casing from the Italian sausage and proceeding to slice it uniformly.
- In a large, high-sided skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is warmed, add the uniformly sliced sausage. Allow it to cook for approximately 4 minutes on one side to achieve a browned appearance. Subsequently, turn the slices over and allow them to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- To the skillet containing the sausage, incorporate the uncooked potato gnocchi, heavy cream, and chicken stock. Raise the heat to achieve a boil, ensuring that the ingredients are well combined. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, cover the skillet with a lid, and allow the gnocchi to cook for roughly 5 minutes.
- Following this, add the butternut squash puree and the finely minced garlic to the skillet. Once again, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low-medium and thoroughly combine the ingredients. Monitor the consistency of the sauce and ensure that the gnocchi is fully cooked. If a thicker consistency is desired for the sauce, allow it to simmer for a longer duration.
- Once off the heat, delicately stir in half of the freshly chopped sage and thyme. Season the dish with salt and freshly ground black pepper, bearing in mind the inherent saltiness of the sausage.
- For the final presentation, garnish the dish with the remaining sage and thyme.