Savor the flavors of traditional lasagna in a comforting bowl with this Crockpot Lasagna Soup recipe. Featuring ground beef, onions, bell peppers, a mix of tomatoes, and a trio of cheeses, it’s a simple yet delicious way to enjoy lasagna effortlessly.
Growing up, lasagna was the star of our family gatherings. It was a symbol of love and togetherness, meticulously layered by my grandmother’s hands. As I ventured into my own cooking adventures, I yearned to recreate those flavors but often found myself pressed for time. That’s when I stumbled upon the concept of Crockpot Lasagna Soup. It was a revelation! This recipe became my go-to for busy weekdays, infusing my kitchen with the aromas of childhood while allowing me the freedom to multitask. It’s not just a recipe; it’s a nostalgic journey in every spoonful.
Why This Crockpot Lasagna Soup Stand Out:
- Effortless Cooking: This recipe transforms the complex layers of a traditional lasagna into a simple, one-pot meal, perfect for busy cooks.
- Flavorful and Hearty: The combination of ground beef, aromatic vegetables, and rich tomatoes, simmered to perfection, creates a deeply satisfying soup.
- Cheesy Goodness: A trio of cheeses – ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan – melts into the soup, giving you that beloved cheesy lasagna experience.
- Versatile and Adaptable: It’s easy to modify with different ingredients or to accommodate dietary restrictions, making it a crowd-pleaser for various tastes.
Jump into this culinary adventure with some useful tips for your Crockpot Lasagna Soup ingredients!
- Ground Beef: Opt for lean ground beef for a healthier option, but don’t shy away from richer cuts for more flavor.
- Onions and Bell Peppers: These veggies add a subtle sweetness and crunch. Feel free to experiment with different colored bell peppers for a vibrant twist.
- Tomatoes: The combination of crushed and diced tomatoes offers a perfect balance of texture and taste. Go for quality canned tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: This is your flavor powerhouse. If you have time, try a homemade blend for a more authentic touch.
- Cheeses: The ricotta adds creaminess, mozzarella brings the melt, and parmesan rounds it out with a sharp tang. Freshly grated cheese is always best!
How To Make The Crockpot Lasagna Soup:
Let’s dive into making this scrumptious Crockpot Lasagna Soup!
- Brown the Beef: Start by cooking the ground beef in a skillet until it’s nicely browned. This step is crucial for developing a deep, meaty flavor.
- Transfer to Crockpot: Move the browned beef into your crockpot. This will be the base for your soup.
- Add Veggies and Tomatoes: Toss in the diced onion, bell pepper, and both types of tomatoes. These ingredients will meld together to create a rich, tomatoey base.
- Season: Sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, adding layers of herby flavor.
- Pour in Beef Broth: The broth not only adds liquid but also contributes to the overall savoriness of the soup.
- Cooking Time: Set your crockpot to cook. The long, slow cooking process allows the flavors to deepen and blend beautifully.
- Noodle Time: Breaking the lasagna noodles into the soup transforms it into a true lasagna experience.
- Final Cooking Phase: A short, high-heat phase cooks the noodles perfectly.
- Serve with Cheeses: Each bowl gets a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan, creating a cheesy, delightful topping.
After enjoying your Crockpot Lasagna Soup, you’ll likely have leftovers, which is great news! This soup stores beautifully in the refrigerator for up to four days, making it a fantastic option for meal prep. Simply reheat it on the stove or in the microwave for a quick and delicious meal. If you’re thinking longer-term, freeze the soup in airtight containers. It keeps well for up to three months in the freezer. Just thaw it overnight in the fridge and reheat for a taste that’s as good as fresh!
Variations and Substitutions:
Customize your Crockpot Lasagna Soup to suit your palate or pantry!
- Meat Variations: Swap ground beef with ground turkey or chicken for a lighter version. For a vegetarian twist, try lentils or a meat substitute.
- Veggie Mix-Up: Add mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini for an extra veggie punch.
- Gluten-Free Option: Use gluten-free lasagna noodles to cater to those with dietary restrictions.
- Cheese Choices: Experiment with different cheeses like Gouda or Fontina for a new flavor profile.
- Spice It Up: For a kick, add red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- One pound of ground beef
- Half an onion finely diced
- One red bell pepper finely diced
- One 14.5-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
- One 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- One teaspoon of minced garlic
- One tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- Four cups of beef broth
- Twelve ounces of lasagna noodles
- Half a cup of ricotta cheese
- One cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- One cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- Begin by browning the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once browned, ensure to drain off any excess grease.
- Transfer the browned ground beef to a 6-quart crockpot.
- Add the finely diced onion and red bell pepper to the crockpot. Follow this by pouring in both the crushed and diced tomatoes.
- Incorporate the minced garlic and Italian Seasoning, evenly distributing them throughout the mixture.
- Carefully pour in the beef broth, ensuring it blends well with the other ingredients.
- Cover the crockpot and set it to cook on a low heat setting for 6-8 hours, or alternatively, on a high heat setting for 3-4 hours.
- After the cooking period, remove the lid of the crockpot. Break the lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces, adding them directly into the crockpot. Ensure all smaller pieces also fall into the mixture.
- Replace the cover and continue cooking on a high heat setting for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the noodles are thoroughly cooked.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Top each serving with a tablespoon of ricotta cheese, followed by a generous handful of both mozzarella and shredded parmesan cheese.