Dive into a fusion of coleslaw mix, vibrant bell peppers, creamy mayo-sour cream dressing, crunchy corn, hearty black beans, zesty lime, and a kick of taco seasoning. A Mexican fiesta for your taste buds!
Ah, summer cookouts! They remind me of my grandmother’s backyard, where family gatherings were punctuated by her famous coleslaw. But it wasn’t until a trip to Tijuana that I stumbled upon the genius idea of mixing that comforting coleslaw with the vibrant flavors of a Mexican taco salad. Merging two cultures, the outcome was this Mexican Corn Coleslaw! A dish that dances between traditional and innovative, it’s my way of blending cherished memories with newfound adventures.
Why You’ll Love Mexican Corn Coleslaw:
What makes our Mexican Corn Coleslaw stand out in a sea of summer salads? First, it’s a beautiful marriage between a classic taco salad and coleslaw, bringing you the best of both worlds. The creamy mayonnaise and sour cream dressing, combined with a robust taco seasoning, creates a flavor profile that is nothing short of addictive. Plus, the colorful veggies don’t just add a pop to your plate, they inject a healthful boost. And can we talk about the convenience? Ready in just 10 minutes, it’s the epitome of easy, breezy, and oh-so-delicious!
Ingredients Notes For Mexican Corn Coleslaw:
Let’s get up close and personal with our ingredients, shall we? When opting for a coleslaw mix, fresh is best, so look for a bag with crisp veggies. As for our bell peppers, the combination of red and orange adds a delightful sweetness and color pop, but feel free to throw in a yellow or green one for fun! While mayonnaise is a must for that creamy texture, using a good quality brand can elevate your dish. Sour cream adds a touch of tanginess; low-fat versions work too. Freshly drained black beans and corn give that authentic Mexican touch. Don’t skimp on the lime juice; it offers a citrusy zing! Lastly, for the daredevils among us, add a bit more jalapeño for that extra kick.
How To Make Mexican Corn Coleslaw:
Step 1: Begin with your dressing – it’s where all the magic happens! In a medium-sized bowl, take your mayonnaise and sour cream. Now, add the zesty lime juice and rich taco seasoning. Give it a vigorous whisk till it’s combined beautifully. Pop it into the fridge for a little chill session.
Step 2: Now, let’s mingle with our main characters! In a spacious bowl (because no one likes an overflow mess), add your coleslaw mix, both bell peppers, black beans, corn, cilantro, and our spicy friend, jalapeño. Ensure your beans and corn are well-drained; we don’t want a soggy affair!
Step 3: Time to unite! Fetch your chilled dressing and drench the veggies in its creamy goodness. Toss it like you’re dancing the cha-cha until everything’s nicely coated. For a finishing touch, sprinkle a dash more of cilantro on top. Voila! Your Mexican Corn Coleslaw is ready to rock any party!
Got leftovers? No problemo! Pack your coleslaw into an airtight container and stash it in the fridge. It’ll happily chill there for up to 3 days. Just a heads up, the veggies might release some liquid over time, but a quick toss before serving should freshen it up!
Variations and Substitutions:
Feeling experimental? This recipe is super versatile! For a dairy-free version, swap mayo and sour cream with vegan alternatives. Not a fan of black beans? Pinto beans could be your new BFF. Looking for more greens? Chopped avocados or diced tomatoes could be a great addition. If taco seasoning isn’t at arm’s reach, a blend of cumin, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder can save the day. Lastly, for those who’d like a milder heat, swapping the jalapeño for green chilies or even bell peppers is perfectly fine. Play around and make it your own fiesta!
Mexican Corn Coleslaw
- 1 14 oz. package of coleslaw mix
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper finely diced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise of superior quality
- 1/3 cup premium sour cream
- 1 13.75 oz. can of black beans, properly rinsed and drained
- 1 13.75 oz. can of corn, adequately rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup freshly minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeño seeds meticulously removed and minced
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- Initiate by preparing the dressing. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, freshly squeezed lime juice, and taco seasoning. Utilizing a whisk, blend the ingredients until they achieve a harmonious consistency. Refrigerate the resultant mixture until it is required for subsequent steps.
- In a separate, larger bowl, amalgamate the coleslaw mix, diced red and orange bell peppers, drained black beans, drained corn, minced cilantro, and minced jalapeño. It is imperative to ensure that the beans and corn are devoid of excess liquid to maintain the desired consistency of the coleslaw.
- Extract the previously prepared dressing from the refrigerator. Incorporate it into the vegetable mixture, ensuring that the components are uniformly coated with the dressing. Should one prefer, additional cilantro may be garnished atop the coleslaw prior to serving. The dish is now ready for consumption.