Savor the Sweetness: Indulge in homemade Red Velvet Whoopie Pies featuring rich red velvet cakes filled with creamy cream cheese frosting. Main ingredients include all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, red food coloring, buttermilk, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Perfect for festive occasions!
A Recipe Wrapped in Memories:
Every bite of these Red Velvet Whoopie Pies takes me back to my grandmother’s kitchen, where the aroma of sweet red velvet mingled with laughter. She believed that baking was not just about ingredients, but about the joy shared. These pies, with their vibrant red hue and creamy filling, were her way of spreading love during holidays. Now, as I bake them, I feel her warmth and remember the giggles over mixing bowls and the pride in every perfectly assembled whoopie pie.
Why Choose This Recipe?
These Red Velvet Whoopie Pies stand out for their:
- Festive Flair: The striking red velvet makes them a visual treat, perfect for Christmas and Valentine’s Day celebrations.
- Balance of Flavors: The richness of the red velvet perfectly complements the tangy cream cheese filling, creating a harmonious taste.
- Homemade Goodness: Made from scratch, these whoopie pies offer a comforting, homemade quality that store-bought ones can’t match.
- Versatility: They’re a delightful addition to any dessert table, from casual gatherings to elegant parties.
- Ease of Preparation: The recipe is straightforward, making it accessible to bakers of all skill levels.
Getting the Best from Your Ingredients:
- Flour & Cocoa Powder: The foundation of your cakes. Ensure they’re fresh for the best flavor.
- Butter & Sugars: Cream these well for a light texture. Brown sugar adds a hint of caramel.
- Eggs & Vanilla Extract: They bring richness and depth. Fresh, room temperature eggs work best.
- Red Food Coloring: This gives the iconic color. Gel gives a more vibrant hue.
- Buttermilk: Its acidity reacts with baking soda for a tender crumb.
- Cream Cheese & Powdered Sugar: Quality cream cheese for smooth filling, and sifted sugar to avoid lumps.
- Preparation: Start by preheating your oven and preparing your baking sheets. This ensures a ready-to-go setup.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Combining your dry ingredients separately ensures an even distribution in the batter.
- Cream Butter and Sugars: This step is crucial for texture. Even if it doesn’t get pale and fluffy, it should be well combined.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla: Incorporating these gradually adds structure and flavor.
- Color the Batter: Add food coloring and mix well. The color should be even, so don’t hesitate to scrape the sides.
- Alternate Buttermilk and Dry Ingredients: This method ensures a balanced mix without overworking the batter.
- Scoop and Bake: Consistent scooping results in uniform cakes. Baking until they spring back prevents overbaking.
- Cool Cakes: Allow them to cool sufficiently for easy handling.
- Make the Filling: Beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Adjust the cream to get the right consistency.
- Assemble: Match cake sizes for uniform whoopie pies. Distribute the filling evenly for a perfect bite.
- Serve or Store: Ready to enjoy or store for later indulgence.
Keeping Them Fresh:
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze them for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Remember, the cream cheese filling means they should not be left out for extended periods.
Tailoring the Recipe:
- Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free flour blend in place of all-purpose flour.
- Dairy-Free: Substitute dairy ingredients with vegan butter and dairy-free cream cheese.
- Color Variants: Experiment with different food colorings for a unique twist.
- Filling Flavors: Add lemon zest or cocoa powder to the filling for a flavor change.
- Sugar Alternatives: Try coconut sugar or a sugar substitute, keeping in mind the texture may vary.
- Egg-Free: Use an egg substitute if needed, though this may alter the texture slightly.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
For the Red Velvet Batter:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ cup of salted butter softened
- 1 cup of light brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of red liquid or gel food coloring
- 1 cup of buttermilk
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- ½ cup of salted butter softened
- 8 ounces of cream cheese softened
- 3 cups of powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream
Preparation of Cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter and sugar mixture until the batter becomes fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and combine.
- Incorporate the red food coloring, ensuring even distribution by scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add sufficient coloring to achieve a vibrant, dark red hue.
- Alternately add the buttermilk and the sifted dry ingredients to the mixture, beginning and ending with the buttermilk.
- Utilize a 1 ½ or 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the batter onto the prepared pans, spacing scoops about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when gently pressed.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool on the cookie sheets for 3-4 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Preparation of Filling:
- Beat the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- Use the same size cookie scoop used for the batter to portion the filling onto the flat side of one cake.
- Place another cake on top of the filling, pressing gently to distribute the filling to the edges of the whoopie pie.
- Serve immediately or store the whoopie pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.