Stuffed chicken recipes are the best. The stuffing helps keep the chicken nice and moist while adding tons of flavor. After making my Spiralized Cucumber Greek Salad, I had a bunch of feta cheese and tomatoes left over so I immediately thought about adding it to chicken.
These chicken breasts are stuffed with crumbly feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil. I also added a touch of cream cheese to make sure the filling was extra-creamy.
Since the weather has been absolutely beautiful lately, I’ve been doing most of my writing while sitting on a yoga mat in my backyard. It’s not a bad office. My cat Maja has been loving it too. She’s been chasing butterflies and lizards nonstop. This afternoon, I saw her jumping around in the grass. I figured she found a bug or something, so I went over to investigate. I was wrong.
She was playing with a garter snake.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time she’s captured a snake. I was just happy that she didn’t try to bring this one inside the house this time (she’s done that twice!). Luckily, every snake that she’s caught has been a harmless garter snake, but I’m terrified of the day she tries to catch something poisonous.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs, Italian style
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine the feta cheese, cream cheese, and basil. Gently stir in the tomatoes (carefully not to over-stir or your filling will turn pink). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing horizontally without cutting completely through. Open the chicken breasts and flatten with a rolling pin or meat mallet until the chicken breast is thin and evenly thick.
- Place about half of the feta cheese mixture onto each chicken breast. Roll up the chicken breasts and secure the ends with toothpicks to keep the filling from oozing out. Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Brush each chicken breast with olive oil, then sprinkle the panko bread crumbs over the chicken breasts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.